Monday, March 21, 2011

Linen quilt

Work in progress. Ping-pong tables make great work areas.


 I made this quilt as a distraction from applying to grad school in December. It was my second quilt ever and my first non baby size quilt.  When I decided I wanted to learn how to quilt, I flipped through some books at Indigo. Kaffe Fassett was the first book I looked at and I instantly fell in love with his fabric. My boyfriend's Mom gave me some Kaffe Fasset fabric and I knew I had to put it to good use.

Finished quilt (front). I LOVE LINEN!! 
 The natural coloured fabric on the front is a linen and cotton blend. I love the earthy look it has. If you use linen, prewashing is a must! It shrinks A LOT. Luckily my Mom told me this before I began cutting and sewing.

Finished back.

The back took so much longer than the front to make. I learned a pretty good lesson in quilting while making this quilt. Making things line up and look very tidy and organized is easy! Making things wonky and random is much much more difficult. That's modern quilting for you! I had to cut the back up into so many pieces and basically replace areas of the brown (Kona solids in Sable) with my squares. I wanted to change my mind and just line up the blocks but I knew I would appreciated the wonkiness once it was complete.
Close up of a pieced area on the back. No, it is not perfectly square but I like it this way. 

I finished this quilt on Christmas Eve at my Nanny's house. I got the binding from a cute little quilt shop in Kingston.

1 comment:

  1. This quilt is totally YOU.
    Beautiful, natural, and not perfectly square.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!